Friday, April 07, 2006

Tragedy

Freak accident in Boston:

A scaffolding collapse killed three people on Monday. Twenty-eight-year-old Michael Tsan Ty of Roslindale was killed when the falling debris crushed his car. He was a neurology resident at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Also killed were construction workers Robert Beane of Templeton and Romildo Silva of Somerville.

I think I actually knew him peripherally in school... What sense can we make from this tragedy? Live life to the fullest every day because tomorrow is never a sure thing. Do what makes you happy - don't let it be a future goal. Work will go on, with us or without us. Enjoy all of life. As a wise professor once said, "the graveyards of the world are littered with the bodies of the indispensable."

On a side note, it's a shame that many of the media reports of this accident neglect to mention the two other unfortunate souls in the accident. Or if they are mentioned, they have half a sentence where Dr. Ty gets three or four. Dr. Ty definitely had a lot of accomplishments that we, as a society, think highly of, but I'm sure Mr. Beane and Mr. Silva lived equally important lives that were extremely meaningful to those who were affected them. R.I.P.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jose said...

I knew Michael Ty pretty well. I would never have heard if I hadn't read your post. I'm a bit stunned. Mike was a really amazing person, and the world is a poorer place without him.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home